Monday, November 2, 2009

Retro Is All The Rage

Retro and fun are two words to describe Caitlin Chipperfield's 'vibe' for her wedding.

She lucked out with some beautiful fall weather for her Oceancliff affair. Now I have lived in New England my whole life. Why does it still shock me that, in October, I can watch the Patriots playing in the snow one day and then our bride can get married outside in Newport two weeks later?

Courtesy of our friends at Snap! Photography, here is what a ceremony looks like at Oceancliff...well, minus the guests wearing summer attire. I think it was still too cool for that.
I bet Caitlin never dreamed that her ceremony could be outside.

Here is the ballroom at Oceancliff...just as beautiful.


Here is Leah, known for transforming people with her magical hair and make up skills, workin' it with Caitlin.

No one should EVER forget to conceal the under eye area. This make up tip is not just for brides. It's a trick that makes you look polished and put together in seconds, while awakening your eyes without requiring extra hours of sleep. Speaking of sleep, wasn't stealing that extra hour on Saturday night just fantastic? I think so.

Have a professional make up artist select the right under eye concealer, like Cargo's One Base or Smashbox High Definition Concealer. Then dab a few dots under the inner corner and pat, NEVER rub the concealer with your ring finger. Leah and Amy tell me that the natural pressure from your ring finger is just right--not too much (like the middle finger, a.k.a. the bird) and not too little (like the pinky). Smearing under eye concealer is just a waste of product, time and it just enhances any fine lines. Ew, who wants that?

Here is Leah, practicing what she preaches.

Caitlin's mom, Cindy, wanted in on the fun too. Caitlin was a smart bride who enjoyed her Bridal Package and shared the manicure and pedicure with her mom that day. Moms should never be forgotten!

Cindy was wearing a formal dress so after we discussed, we decided on a more formal, clean upsweep.
Here is the trick to the whole "height" thing. To make your 'do look more 2009, not 1959, the volume should be on the crown on your head, not on the top. If the volume is too much on top, you might find yourself looking a bit more Marge Simpson/Amy Winehouse (eeek)!

Cindy's modern french twist...
Cindy found these beautiful pearl adorned hairpins at the RISD (pronounced Riz-D or RI School of Design for those non-Rhode Islandah's) Art Show. They were just perfect.

Etsy.com should really win an award. I don't know what kind of award, but Caitlin seconds this thought. Check out the creative headband Caitlin found on Etsy.

Feathers, wire, and pearls, oh my! Love it.

Do you ever think of what decade you would have loved to experience? I think I would have loved the late 60's-early 70's...not for the whole hippie, drug, make-love-not-war-thing, but for the hair. The height (the bump), the headbands, the loose and natural waves--I love how it's coming back. I will be very sad when this trend fades.

Anyways, I bet Caitlin would say the late 50's-early 60's. I can just picture her with her perfect skin, big brown eyes and Audrey Hepburn hair.

I think Caitlin should be cast on Mad Men, right? Those eyes. Those red lips. A fresh and modern twist on a really fantastic era.
I have said many times on the blog that I have 'dimple-envy'. Well, I also have had 'beauty mark-envy' since my middle-school days of Cindy Crawford and Niki Taylor super-modeling. I have tried to convince myself that some of my many freckles are beauty marks. They are most certainly not. My dermatologist really put me in my place. Oh well, I will just envy Caitlin's:o)

Just perfect.

Our thanks to Caitlin and Cindy for letting us 'beautify' you on a very important day. Congratulations!

No comments:

Soft and sexy hair for 2009 and everafter.....

Soft and sexy hair for 2009 and everafter.....

Leah's Favorite Product for Jan. 2009

Leah's Favorite Product for Jan. 2009
perfect for oily hair, perfect for dry hair! You can't build anything without this foundation.

My "go-to" product for all seasons

My "go-to" product for all seasons
a little goes a long way!

New Leaf Hair Studio.....LEAH'S BLOG

Questions about hair? skin? life? It's all here. BLOG BLOG BLOG

Followers of New Leaf Hair Studio

Something you won't see at New Leaf (but I thought you would laugh!!)

Something you won't see at New Leaf (but I thought you would laugh!!)